IU Bloomington Academic Policies
E. Tenure/Reappointment/ Promotion/Salary
Procedures For Faculty Promotion Recommendations
All faculty members eligible for promotion on the Bloomington campus.
- She/he shall make a continuing study of the staff with respect to:
- Teaching performance and development of teaching techniques,
- Scholarship and reputation for achievement in her/his field,
- Loyalty and cooperativeness in the department and the University,
- Ability to stimulate and direct graduate students,
- Administrative work,
- Contributions to learned and professional societies.
- Recommendations to the dean shall include specific information regarding the points outlined above plus any pertinent information concerning:
- Character and personality,
- Community and other public service,
- Contribution to good public relations.
- The recommendations for promotion shall be forwarded by the departmental chairperson to the dean of the school or college by November 1.
It shall be the privilege of any faculty member or librarian to submit to the dean of the appropriate school or college or to the Dean of the Faculties a recommendation for the promotion of any faculty member or librarian, including that of himself/herself. These recommendations shall be properly documented.
It shall then be the responsibility of the dean of the school or college:
- To analyze the information relative to each candidate whose promotion has been recommended to her/him and to secure any additional information deemed necessary by consulting with the chairperson and members of the candidate's department or by obtaining information from outside sources.
- To suggest the names of additional faculty members he/she deems worthy of promotion and to consult with the appropriate departmental chairpersons concerning their qualifications. The dean may at her/his discretion request advice from any member of the faculty in the evaluation of any candidate.
- To submit to the Dean of the Faculties, by December 15, the names of all those considered, together with recommendations for or against promotion and a complete statement detailing the reasons.
The following shall be the responsibilities of the Dean of the Faculties:
- To suggest the names of any faculty members he/she considers worthy of promotion who have not been considered previously and to consult with the dean of the school or college and the chairperson of the department of which the candidate is a member in order to compile full information concerning the qualifications of the candidate.
- To appoint a University Faculty Advisory Committee on Promotions which shall consider all cases and give advice to the Dean of the Faculties.
- To submit to the President, by March 15, the names of those considered, together with his/her recommendations and a complete statement detailing his/her reasons.
It shall be the responsibility of the President to submit to the Trustees of Indiana University in time for consideration at their April meeting the names of those recommended for promotion. The President shall state in writing to the Dean of the Faculties the reasons for any changes in the recommendations to the Dean of the Faculties.
It shall be the obligation of the department chairperson or dean to review with the candidate who was not promoted the reasons for the failure to promote, if such a request is made by the faculty member involved.
Approved: Faculty Council 4/1/52; UFC 4/28/09; Trustees 6/12/09